Laurea Degree, 1987, Electronic
Engineering, Politecnico di Milano,
Ph.D., 1993, Biomedical Engineering, Politecnico
di Milano, Milan, Italy.
Carlo Combi was born in 1962. In 1987 he received the Laurea
Degree in E.E. by the Politecnico of Milan. In 1993 he received the
Ph.D. degree in biomedical engineering. He was in 1994 and 1995
Post-Doc fellow at the Department of Biomedical Engineering of the
Politecnico of Milan. From 1987 to 1996 he worked within the research
group in Medical
Informatics at the Politecnico of Milan.
1996 to October 2001, Carlo Combi was with the Department
of Mathematics and Computer Science of the University
of Udine as Assistant Professor.
Since November 2001, he is
with the Department of Computer
Science of the University of
Verona. From November 2001 to February 2005, he was Associate
Professor of Computer Science; since March 2005, he is Professor of
From October 2007 to September 2012, he was head of the
From July 2009 to June 2013 he was chair of the Artificial
Intelligence in Medicine Society (AIME).
He is author, with
Elpida Keravnou (University of Cyprus) and Yuval Shahar (Ben-Gurion
University of the Negev) of the book Temporal
Information Systems in Medicine, Springer,
Main research interests are related to the database field, with an
emphasis on the management of clinical information. The two main
- temporal information systems
- temporal workflow and business process systems:
modeling issues and architectures;
- temporal business processes:
- temporal constraint networks and
- temporal functional dependencies;
- temporal data warehouses and
temporal data mining;
- XML, semistructured data and
- multiple temporal
dimensions in modeling and querying data;
- Event Calculus extended to deal
with temporal granularity and indeterminacy;
- visualizing temporal data;
- uncertainty in temporal
relationships by multiple-valued logics;
- WWW-based access to temporal
- granularity and
indeterminacy in modeling and querying object-oriented temporal
- multimedia databases
- modeling and querying multimedia
- temporal features of multimedia
- indexing structures;
- compression techniques applied on biomedical signals and
Current and Graduated Ph.D. students
- Beatrice Amico (-): "Temporal Data Mining in Medicine"
- Evelina Rakhmetova (-): "Modeling and Mining Log Files"
- Matteo Mantovani (2020): "Approximate Data Mining Techniques on Clinical Data"
- Francesca Zerbato (2019): "Tackling different business process perspectives: Modeling data, time, and decisions in BPMN processes"
- Matteo Zavatteri (2018): "Business Process, temporal constraints, access control and security policies"
- Alberto Sabaini (2015): "Temporal Data Analysis and Mining - A Multidimensional Approach and its Application in a Medical Domain"
- Mauro Gambini (2012): "The Design of Graphical Process Modeling Languages: from Free Composition to Modular Construction"
- Gabriele Pozzani (2011): "Modeling and querying spatio-temporal clinical databases with multiple granularities"
- Rosalba Rossato (2006): "Temporal Functional Dependencies and Trends with multiple granularities"
- Barbara Oliboni(2003): "Blind queries and constraints: representing flexibility and time in semistructured data" (co-advisor)
- Editor-in-Chief, journal Artificial
Intelligence in Medicine (since 2017).
- Editorial Board Member, journal Artificial
Intelligence in Medicine (1999-2016).
- Editorial Board Member, journal International
Journal of Computers in Healthcare.
- Guest editor (with Mor Peleg, University of Haifa), special issue
Intelligence in Medicine AIME 2011 (selected papers), journal
- Guest editor (with Yuval Shahar, Ben-Gurion University of the
Negev), special issue on Artificial
Intelligence in Medicine AIME 2009 (selected papers), journal
- Guest editor (with Niels Peek - University of Amsterdam, and
Allan Tucker - Brunel University) of a special section of the
of Information in Medicine on biomedical
data mining (2009).
- Member of the Scientific Committee, special issue on New
Trends in Data Warehousing and Data Analysis (guest editors:
Stanislaw Kozielski - Silesian University of Technology, Poland -
and Robert Wrembel - Poznan University of Technology, Poland),
journal Annals of
Information Systems (2008).
- Guest editor (with Maroua Bouzid - University of Caen, Gerard
Ligozat - University of Paris-SUD, and Michael Fisher, University of
Liverpool), special issue on temporal
representation and reasoning, Annals
of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence (2006).
- Guest editor (with Giuseppe Pozzi, Politecnico di Milano),
special issue on temporal
representation and reasoning in medicine, International
Journal Artificial Intelligence in Medicine (2006).
- Member of the Scientific Committee, special issue on
visualization in medicine (guest editor: Luca Chittaro,
University of Udine), journal Artificial
Intelligence in Medicine (2001).
- Guest editor (with Yuval Shahar, Stanford University),
special issue on intelligent
temporal information systems in medicine, Journal
of Intelligent Information Systems (1999).
- Guest editor (with Yuval Shahar, Stanford University),
special issue on time-oriented
systems in medicine, journal Computers
in Biology and Medicine (1997).
- Reviewer for national and international journals and
Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, IEEE
Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, IEEE
Transactions on Multimedia, Annals
of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence, Artificial
Intelligence in Medicine, Computers
in Biology and Medicine, IEEE
Internet Computing, Methods
of Information in Medicine, Rivista di Informatica of
Computer Journal, Journal
of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems, Journal
of Logic and Computation, Journal
of Systems and Software, Journal
of Intelligent Information Systems.
Back to University of Verona
Back to Dept. of Computer
April 12, 2021